Why You Should Compete on The Pole

Holly Munson

Holly started pole dancing after admiring the grace, skill and elegance of pole performances and immediately falling in love with the style. After half a decade of bruises, struggling and then the satisfaction of success, Holly wanted to start a pole dance blog and as a result, PoleFreaks was born. The vision is to share that same passion with others. Holly wished that there were more pole dance tutorials and reliable information available when she was first learning. So now aims to provide that help through her writing, blogging and teaching.

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. gizem says:

I want to compete SO MUCH ! But of course my problem is the same as many people’s concern: Am I good enough ?
    Actually I feel like I can and I know I should compete because it really isn’t about winning. Just to be part of that magical atmosphere would be a big push to work even harder.

• Holly Munson says:

Hi Anna,

You will be good enough!

As much as there will be judges, you are really the only person who can judge yourself. All you have to do is prepare and perform to the best of your ability. Who cares if all you do is a Fireman Spin with lots of floor in between (although I’m sure you can do more than that!) You are still the one who put in the effort, got on that stage and gave a great performance.

You can do it 😀

• Holly Munson says:

I definitely have this concern EVERY time I compete. When I did my first competition I was oddly confident – not about winning (as I didn’t place at all) but about wanting to perform. When I got to the comp I realised that I was not even close to the level of the others competing and couldn’t do half the moves that they could. But you know what? I got up there and did the best I could, and was super proud.

At the end of the day, being ‘good enough’ comes down to the four or five people that judge you for those few minutes. There will be plenty of people in the audience who will support each poler and have their own favourite. Who cares if you don’t win (I’ve lost plenty 😉 ). You will still be amazing and more proud of yourself than you have ever been – It takes so much courage to get on that stage.

You definitely should compete 😀 Now go and find your first comp to enter 😉

2. Sassy says:

Hi Holly, I actually just joined my first ever pole competition this year after 2 years of pole training. I joined PPC earlier in March, and I agree with you, the strength gain is amazeballs! The whole experience was incredible, and I wish I could re-live it everyday. I learned so much and gained so much in 4/5 months of training for the competition, and it definitely inspired and motivated me to keep working hard even after the competition. The support system is also so great, I met a lot of great people who are now my friends! I’m definitely excited to go at it again, hopefully by the end of this year, or next year. It sure is a must-do for everyone who loves this sport, no matter what level you’re in.

• Holly Munson says:

Hi Sassy,

I’m so glad you had such a great experience at your first comp, and now want to do more.

It really is like nothing else – the support and experience is just unbelievable. I love having something to aim for when it comes to pole – it makes me get on the pole and try new things – getting stronger and more confident on the pole.

All you have to do now is decide what comp you want to do next 😀

3. Donna Kaestner says:

Hi Holly, thank you for this! While I am not entering a competition, I have been going back and forth as to whether or not I’m good enough to be a part of our studios Summer Pole Jam event. Your line ‘You pretty much have to be yourself – and you are awesome at that.’ just helped me make my decision! You are always so positive. Thank you for being such a great motivator!!

• Holly Munson says:

Hi Donna,

Yay! I’m so glad this has helped 😀 I’m sure you’re summer pole jam will have such a supportive audience that will cheer you on, and put a big smile on your face – and you will be so glad that you did it 😀 Good luck!

4. I just registered for my first competition, PSO -SPC in June. The journey has been filled with support, encouragement, and that little voice in my head that says, “what are you thinking?”. I’ve enjoyed the wave of emotions that have come along with it —it has been an emotional roller coaster and I’m so thankful for my instructors/trainers and being surrounded by those who believe in me when I doubt myself. Thank you for the positive vibes! This has made me even more excited.

• Holly Munson says:

I’m so glad that you’re excited for your first competition! It all goes past in such a blur, so it’s great to be taking it all in now, and hopefully loving it 😀 Good luck with it – let me know how it goes :)

5. Bineke27 says:

Hi Holly, great post! Very motivational. Wanting to explore my boundaries, I entered my first competition ever a year ago… Sadly, I chickened out and withdrew at the last minute, having to pay the penalty fees… That was such a horrible feeling for me but the thought of being exposed brought up a hundred and one questions such as: what if my hands are too slippery? what if I have a wardrobe malfunction in front of everyone, what if I fall? Given all the worries and stress I was putting myself through, I decided to withdraw… I just didn’t want my hobby to become something I hate. I love this sport and I want it to be fun and rewarding.

But now a year has passed and I had time to think and speak with my poling friends. I now feel more confident in my abilities and myself and I hope I’ll be able to enter a competition soon. Yet, I think I’d like my first one to be a doubles’ one just to help be get over my anxiety. :-)

• Holly Munson says:

Hi!

I can definitely understand not wanting pole to become something you hate.

All of your thoughts are normal and happen to pretty much everyone – and we all have our own ways of coping, and you will too. I’m an absolute monster on the day of a performance / competition (poor James 😉 ) and have to wash my hands every five minutes, I can’t eat, I zone out thinking about my routine, and generally have a good old panic.

When your comp comes around you will be so used to pole and your routine that your body will know it better than your mind – so hopefully your body will take control. We all have moments where we think ‘I could have done this better, or held this for longer’ but you do the best that you can at the time. No matter what happens, you will be so, so happy that you did.

I’m loving doubles at the moment – that would be a great option 😀